Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Story of the Purple (Blue) Hyacinths

My sister died last fall from complications due to ALS. At the funeral service, I placed a basket of purple hyacinth bulbs in the lobby of the mortuary with a note on each one asking the recipient to plant the bulb in the fall and remember my sister in the spring. When it was over there were three bulbs left and I planted them in my garden. This is a picture of one of them.

Purple was her favorite color and we all wore purple on the day that we honored her life.

One early morning last week when I was leaving for work, I noticed the hyacinths peeking out from beneath the snow. On the way into work, the song "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart began playing on the car radio. We played that song at my sister's funeral.

I definitely felt her presence that morning and it made me happy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...